Wednesday, October 10, 2012

OMG FRAZZELED

OMGOMGOMGOMG I AM FRUSTRATED.  Fatooshed, fershknuckled, miffed, torqued, irritated and and all.  OYE.  Ok a family friend suggested that we look into finding more information about a grant or low interest loan to make our house wheelchair accessible.  HOLY CRAP that is a good idear.  Ok he suggested the first place we start is CEFS (a community outreach program that helps with things like this, heating for those who cannot afford it, meals on wheels etc).  Now keep in mind, when i call places I have to use the national relay system (cause I am deaf).  Most places in this area are NOT very tty/relay friendly.  Anyway more on that later here.  I called them and they said i needed DOOR's (a different program that helps disabled individuals with any number of different needs).  Soooooo I called them, they said I needed the vocational rehab offices (DUH even I knew that was wrong).  But I called them anyway, they said I needed the center for independent living.  Now THAT sounds about right or at least on the right track.  BUT by the time i got through with all the run around, they were closed by the time I called them.    OYE what would be a 5 min phone call for a normal person takes 15-20 min for a TTY/Relay call.  NOT because the operators are slow, NOT because I am slow to answer, NOT because the translation takes too long.  The reason behind this is because the most articulate people in the world become BUMBLING IDIOTS when they receive a TTY/Relay call.  I'm serious they turn into people that have NO common sense.  I kid you not, the relay system is NOT that hard to understand.  It is almost EXACTLY like talking on a CB, only with a middleman.  4 rules that is it.  1. Don't interrupt the other person when they are talking (cause it REALLY ticks off the operator and rightfully so).  2. When you are finished speaking and ready for the other person to answer you say "go ahead" (just like on a CB you would say "over").  3. When you are finished with the conversation and ready to say goodbye you say "stop keying" (like on a CB you would say over and out).  4. Do NOT talk in the 3rd person (like don't say "tell her that......"  or "could you ask them.....")  When people translate (either via relay or even in person) they translate what you are saying VERBATIM word for word.  They do NOT correct your grammar or anything in anyway.  It is like telling your husband Frank "could you tell Frank to take out the garbage".  Not only is it EXTREMELY rude, but it makes us feel like you are talking down to us (makes us feel like you think we are incapable of understanding, like we are mentally slow or something). OMG, and this is not only on TTY/Relay calls.  This is general public too.  I have had more than one waitress ask my husband "and what would she like to eat.  SERIOUSLY. Come on people.  I am CAPABLE of ordering my own food.  I not only use sign BUT I am a fairly good lipreader.  OYE, sorry I will get off that soapbox now  .
But along those same lines, I find the same kinda things with being out in a wheelchair.  OMG come on people.  I am a PERSON.  I am more than my disability.  I have feelings, thoughts, and a pretty good IQ.  Don't treat me as if I am slow to the mind.  Don't pretend I am not there.  There is NO reason for you to be uncomfortable around me.  I PROMISE I won't bite.  Talking to me will NOT turn you into a goon.  Starring at me instead of asking the questions that are on your mind is number one ANNOYING and number two EXTREMELY RUDE.   I would rather you come up to me and kindly ask the questions that you are asking yourself in your head.  I repeat, I am NOT gonna bite you.  I would rather you ask me like you would ask anyone else that you meet on the street.  Look past my wheelchair, and look at the person IN IT.  DON'T treat me like you pitty me.  I am JUST fine.  I may have to do things differently than you do BUT I CAN do everything that you do.  DO NOT PRETEND THAT I AM NOT THERE!!!!!  How would you like it if everyone in the world went out of their way to avoid eye contact and went out of their way NOT to talk to you.  I am a person.  Again I won't bite, and my wheelchair is not something that you can "catch" to make you sick.  Please do not scold your kids for talking to me or asking me questions.  I PROMISE I will not say anything to your child that will warp them.  I can answer their questions in a manner where they will understand, I will NOT share all the gory details, but I WILL tell them enough to satisfy their curiosity, while not going into too many detail.  I will NOT bite or eat your kids I PROMISE.  No they are not bugging me.  They are trying to learn, and that is a good thing.  I understand that kids are very blunt and they are not trying to be rude.  When I am trying to get in and out of my vehicle PLEASE don't stare at me.  Yes I KNOW it looks odd, you staring at me does NOT make it any easier on me and makes me wonder if your mama taught you manners. (some of this is the WHOLE reason I have been fighting my dr's on their recommendations).  Don't assume that if you are mean to me that i will shirk away in a corner with my tail tucked between my legs.  If you treat me with respect, I will treat you in kind.  If you treat me like a dog, I WILL speak my mind in a manner where I am NOT rude but you WILL get my point even if i have to embarrass you like you are doing me.
OMG.....not sure why all that came out......but it did and there must be a reason so I'm not deleting it.   LOL  thank you so much for listening to my rant.  You don't know how MUCH it helps me to just get it out sometimes.  See ya'll tomorrow, pray for a better day.  **Hugs and smoochies**

1 comment:

  1. Did you ever get ahold of anyone.......or did it get put on the back burner??????

    ReplyDelete