Monday, October 8, 2012

Where I am

Hi Everyone,

My name is Bobbi.  I am 35, married and have 2 AWESOME children (Josie age 10 and Toby age 6).  I am from Illinois and I have decided to start a new blog for this new journey I am on.  I am a deaf cochlear implant user (we use sign and i also lipread).  I lost my hearing do to an autoimmune disease called lupus.  Here recently I have also been diagnosed with degenerative arthritis.  I have been using a wheelchair on and off for the past few years, but here recently it has become a daily need for me to use my temporary wheelchair daily.  I have been fighting my dr's alot on some of his suggestions, but i have come to the realization that they are right and i am wrong (yeah i know imagine that).  So finally, after much stubbornness on my part, I have agreed to do what the dr has asked me to do.  I allowed him to make the appointment with the PT (physical therapist) to have an evaluation done so that i can be fitted for a different wheelchair.  The one i have now is a hospital type and one size fits all, for indoor use, and for only temp use.  My dr's said that i need one that is more custom built to my needs.  I'm not sure this is a need, but they assure me that it will be easier for me to maneuver and make my life easier (and at this stage of the game i am all for easier). They also asked that i try to obtain a powerchair (for the days that my arms are not strong enough to push my wc or for when i am out an about on uneven terrain (which with 2 little ones is quite alot).  A very DEAR friend has one that they no longer use anymore and has been SO kind to let us have that one (we pick it up here in a week or so, she lives about 4 hours away from us).  And the last request my dr's have asked of me is to get a handicapped parking permit (which i have just received in the mail).  At the age of 35 i must say that all this kinda embarrasses me, to the point of wanting to hide in a hole somewhere.  I do NOT like being the center of attention AT ALL.  I am one of those "work behind the scenes" type of gal.  So to suddenly be thrust into everyone's obvious view is WAAAAAAY outta my comfort zone.  BUT on the other hand, i am a FIERCELY independent chickie.   And i want to be able to keep up with my family.  I miss being able to be out in the yard with them (i normally refer to my family as "my peeps"  LOL and you will find that i am very unformal, fun-loving, goofie, hippie chick).  And the way things are right now, it causes more people to stare when i try to walk versus when i use my chair......so i believe the doctors are right and i will quite fighting them so much (emphasis on the so much part).  With all this said, I have started this blog to not only vent my daily frustrations, joys, and the everyday, but also to maybe help others that are headed for or on the same path that i am on.  For me it is easier to express myself by typing or writing versus speaking.  For some reason i feel more free to be honest and open when i am talking to a sheet of paper or computer screen.  And if this can help anyone in anyway, then it is worth it.  I am just learning how to work around things in the mobility area.  I must say while it IS OMG frustrating at time, i have NO DOUBT that i WILL find ways to do exactly what i need and want to do.  This will NOT slow me down, nor will it define my life.  I have an AWESOME husband and kids who love me for ME, no matter if i can walk or hear.  My house is NOT wc (wheelchair) friendly, but we are working on ways to make that better.  Well  my kids are BEGGING for some snack and mommy time, so i will write again later.  Thank you all for listening.  See ya laters **hugs**

No comments:

Post a Comment