Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Tis the season and the everyday

Hi Everyone,

Hope all is good this dreary fall day.  The colors on the trees are all turning and the winds are starting to blow them off the trees.  I LOVE this time of year.  Toby (my youngest) has been home from school the last couple of days fighting a fever and bronchitis.  As long as i keep Tylenol in him his fever subsides, but miss a dose and OMG right back up it goes :(  So he has been home layin on the couch, snoozin, watching cartoons, and helpin me out a bit.  He LOOOOOOVES to help mama and we make a pretty good team.  He especially likes to help load and unload the dishwarsher.   I cant stand up for very long if at all most times, so we have worked out a system.  I will sit at the dishwarsher and stack things together that go in the same place.  He will use his super-boy monkey climbing abilities, and climb up to the cabinet he needs  then I will hand stuff up to him to put up.  Then when we load the dishwarsher, he will bring me the stuff off the table to the sink a little at a time for me.  I will sit and rinse them off and load them in the dishwarsher beside the sink.  (keeping in mind I use one of my canes to work the water and the switch for the garbage disposal. It always brings a smile to his face when he knows that he is helping. I PRAY he never grows out of that cause that will take him far in life. Josie (my oldest) likes to help, but she is 10 and alot of times she will take the opportunity of bubba helping me and get in some alone time (bubba doesn't realize that she needs some "me" time sometimes and has a tendency to bug the bajeezers outta her).

Other than that not much really going on here.  Waiting for the 6th of next month to find out where we go from here.  I FINALLY got ahold of the center for independent living for our area.  They didn't have any information on any grants to make our house wheelchair accessible, BUT she said that she will do some research for me and find something, cause we both know they are out there, we just gotta put our heads together and look.  And the PT/OT (phycial therapist/occupational therapist) that I see on the 6th for my seating evaluation might have some leads too.  I am determined to get everything where I need it so I can fully take care of things on my own.  Don't get me wrong, it is nice to have my family help, but I want to be able to do it on my own when I can.  Where there is a will there IS a way.  I have also prayed and stewed for awhile on the issue of church.  I was brought up in an independent, Bible believing, baptist family.  And my husband was raised on the same values and principles.  We have been out of church for awhile mostly due to the fact that I could not get over my embarrassment over my inability to walk correctly and now the need for a wheelchair.  After much fighting with the Lord, I have givin in to what I know is right, and we are actively looking to get back in church.  

On a different note, I am thinking about writing an email AND a letter to the local walmart.  The nearest "bigger" town to us is 15 miles away.  2 interstates go thru that town and it has a bigger walmart than most places.  Now, they have regular shopping carts, and then specialty shopping carts for people with kids.  BUT they don't have any wheelchair shopping carts (these are adapted carts that you can hook onto the front of your wheelchair so that you dont have to depend on someone else to wheel a shopping cart for you).  Now I am going to be very nice when I bring up the subject, cause in reality, unless you are in need of one the thought of one may not have ever crossed their minds.  Now yes they do cost the company money, BUT think of it this way.....when I am alone (hubby at work, kids at school) my shopping is restricted to what I can fit on my lap.  BUT if I had access to a wheelchair shopping cart, I could and WOULD by more on my trip to their store.  So in reality, not only does this help me, but also them.  And with the interstates RIGHT beside them, I bet it would help other customers also.  Now I really dont have to worry about this at the mom and pop shops in that town, as they are small enough where i can get a lap full.....take it to the counter....and they will hold it back till i get everything i need, and they will hold it at the counter while i take what i can out to my vehicle and come back for more (or in most cases they will help me out with it if i allow them too).

Well, I have to go now, as bubba is trying to make a peach jam sandwich and for some reason today it is not going very well for him.....LOL.  Thanks again for listening my friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment